Anaerobic Digestion Technology Certificate Program
In order to create a certificate program we needed to answer several questions:
- What does a typical Anaerobic Digester (AD) Technician do on a regular basis?
- What are the competencies and background knowledge required of entry-level AD techs?
- What curriculum does Bellingham Technical College already have in place and what need to be developed?
We answered these questions in a Developing a Curriculum (DACUM) workshop with representatives from Bellingham Technical College, Washington State University, and Andgar Corporation. The complete DACUM workshop report is available as a model for similar workshops. The Anaerobic Digestion Technology Certificate Program grew from the results of the DACUM.
How the Certificate Works
Students earning a certificate in Anaerobic Digester Technology will be prepared to enter the field as an entry-level AD technician in various occupational settings including the agricultural, food processing, fisheries, and bio-fuel industries as well as the municipal wastewater and solid waste departments of city and county governments. This certificate program is currently offered to program students in Diesel Technology; Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration; Instrumentation & Control Technology; Process Technology; and Electro Mechanical Technology, or by Dean’s admission; or BTC graduates who have earned an AAS degree in any of the above-mentioned degree programs. The certificate program builds upon student knowledge by emphasizing the development of appropriate work habits and attitudes, interpersonal communication and teamwork skills, and the technical skills necessary for employment. Classroom instruction and practicum/lab instruction provide opportunities for students to achieve the competencies they need to comply with state and federal regulations, conduct and follow industry or company standard operating procedures, prepare for and facilitate agency regulator site visits, and safely operate and maintain existing anaerobic digesters.
||Anaerobic Digestion Essentials
||Cool Towers/Water Treatment
||TOTAL PROGRAM CREDITS
- Review, interpret, and create written, verbal, and graphic information to communicate effectively with co-workers, management, customers and regulatory compliance agencies.
- Observe, record and adjust system elements and well as analyze, troubleshoot and diagnose basic process problems through the application of basic anaerobic digester theory fundaments
- Read, interpret, and apply a variety of written and graphic information from a variety of sources to maintain anaerobic digester facilities equipment, troubleshoot and repair common problems using appropriate testing equipment, procedures and information systems.
- Ensure safe work practices through compliance with national, state, and local regulations and industry standards as well as exhibit professional and personal conduct and appearance appropriate to the workplace.
Additional Certificate Information
Further details for students about the certificate program, the classes, and faculty can be found on the Anaerobic Digestion Technician page of Bellingham Technical College’s website.
The entire curriculum including lectures, videos, and slides can be accessed via our Curriculum Modules page.